Board Meeting Minutes_January 7, 2019_Approved


Monday, January 7, 2019

This was a closed Mic meeting.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 A.M. by President, Michael Manning.

Present:  Michael Manning, President; Harry DeBoer, Vice President, Arnie DeJoode, Treasurer

Section 1 Directors: Glenda Peterson, Nancy Radke

Section ll-lll Directors: Harry Dellinger, Connie Harmon, Howard Harmon, Nancy Stamm

RV Section Directors: David VonArx (Absent), Darrill Burgett

Secretary: Joyce Venker

Parliamentarian: Carole Buwalda

Jurisprudence: Candy Maxwell (Absent)

A synopsis of the Minutes of the Board Meeting of the December 3, 2018 minutes was read by Secretary Joyce Venker. The minutes were accepted as read.

Treasurer’s Report:  Was given by Treasurer Arnie DeJoode.

General Net Operating Funds Available: $233,273.

Total YTD Income: $415,455; YTD Expenditures: $374,152; Net Income YTD: $41,303.

Total Activity Funds Available: $57,550.

Rental Property Balance: $8,703.

Memorial Fund: $2,518.

Reports put to file for audit.


Old Business:

  1. Election: Nominations were closed at the December 17th Candidates are listed on the bulletin boards. Meet the Candidates will be held on January 11th from 1:00 to 3:00 in Wertz Hall. Elections will be on January 14th from 9:00 to 2:00.
  2. Audit Committee: Lloyd Bratland and his committee are preparing the final audit report for presentation at the Annual Homeowners meeting on January 21st.
  3. Wertz Hall Study Update: At the last Homeowners Meeting, the Homeowners were informed of the intent to hold a non-binding ballot to assist the Board in determining the next actions toward deciding whether or not to pursue Wertz Hall improvement or replacement. There will be an open meeting with the Homeowners on January 17th from 3-5 P.M. to provide information and answer questions. A motion was made and passed to accept a revised version of the ballot to the Homeowners.
  4. Post Office Repair Update: The South Post Office repair work started on January 3rd and will be completed today.


New Business:

  1. Golf Committee Rules Change Proposal: Lisa Guinn had a rule change proposal from the Golf Committee that she presented to the board for consideration. The rule change affects the Adobe Wells Rules and Regulations. After discussion the Board passed a motion to change Rule 11 to be voted on by Homeowners at the January Homeowners Meeting. Rule 11: Ladies and Men’s Club Championship Tournaments are open to Adobe Wells Property Owners and their Full-Time shared Resident. All other tournaments are open to Owners and their Full- Time shared Resident and Renters and all are eligible to win trophies, cash, or any other awards. All participants must have an Established Adobe Wells Handicap to enter tournaments that use handicaps in any way.
  2. 2019 Budget Development: President Manning and Treasurer DeJoode completed the draft of the 2019 Budget and reviewed it. There were a few maintenance projects that were included in the budget such as: a) Replacing the fence at Wertz Hall with a vinyl fence like the one installed last year for the pool heater enclosure. b) Building a screened-in deck on the patio of the 19th Hole to expand the use of the building and reduce height of the steps to the restrooms. c) Adobe Wells Tower maintenance which didn’t get finished last year (painting, screening, steps and door). d) Side the 4th wall of the North Side Post Office and a new door. There was a huge jump in Property Taxes that needs to be investigated. There is funding in the Special Projects Line for deepening the South Pond. President Manning has a partial quote from Irrigation District 3 and expects another bid from a farmer that builds ponds who sounded very promising with his expertise. There is also a Special Project for Architectural Services in the event of a vote by the Homeowners to continue pursuing Wertz Hall improvement or replacement. Streets need to be resealed every 5 to 6 years. The Budget Review will be January 10th at 3:00. The board will go into Executive Session toward the end of the Board Meeting to discuss personnel budgets and issues affecting the budget.
  3. Activity Fund Pre-Approval of Expenses: A motion was made and passed to present to the Homeowners for a vote at the January meeting for their approval of the list of Activity Fund Pre-Approval of Expenses. (The list is attached to the Minutes.)
  4. Winter Texan Expo 2020: This will be the 2nd year at the Winter Texan Expo. It was evaluated as to whether this was a good investment. A motion was made and passed to not renew for the 2020 Expo.
  5. Rental House Lease Price: It was suggested that the lease price of the rental house be increased to be more in line with other rentals. A motion was made and passed to increase the rent of the rental house to $1400 a month for a minimum of 4 months plus utilities and during the Off-Season (May thru October) $800 for a minimum of 2 weeks including utilities.


General Discussion: President Manning thanked the Directors whose terms end in January which included Harry Dellinger, Connie Harmon, Glenda Peterson and David VonArx and also Vice-President Harold DeBoer.


Director’s Reports:

  • Howard Harmon: Nothing to report.
  • Connie Harmon: A person was out walking their dog and someone said to be careful because they had just put down weed killer.
  • Harry Dellinger: After the Auction last year, our workers were not given the opportunity of 1st choice of leftover items. Items were donated elsewhere and it has always been the tradition to give our workers first choice. After discussion, a motion was made and passed to continue the tradition of letting our workers have the opportunity of 1st option of what is not put in the auction and what is left over after the auction.
  • Glenda Peterson: The plexiglass on the North Side Post Office still needs to be replaced.
  • Nancy Radke: Nothing to report.
  • Darrill Burgett: The irrigation system by the east side of the laundromat is not working.
  • Nancy Stamm: Couldn’t irrigate the North Side Golf Course due to pump being broken and wanted to know if we could have an extra pump on hand. President Manning explained that we ended up buying a new pump due to the cost of repairing the old one and it should last around 10 years. Also, we will have a spare motor and may be able to rebuild old one. 2. There was a request for 3 Corn-Holes. To let the Board know cost, so it can be considered. 3. The park between Azalea and Harvey has become a dog park. 4. There is a request for a small TV with a DVD player for the 19th Hole for yoga. 5. Comment about mowing yards.


Announcements:  None.

A motion was made and passed to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel issues.

The meeting adjourned at 12:13 P.M.

 Submitted by Joyce Venker, Secretary